Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Day 4: Travel to Turkey

Well, we got in late from London after a very quick but fun afternoon/evening in the city. Once we returned to our England home we talked with friends there at the ministry for at least another hour, then on the 28th we were up and out the door before the sun shone. It was a typical England morning when we left, rainy and cloudy. 

We got through Terminal 5 with all our baggage fine with no fines. :) YAY! :) This was the leg of the trip I was a bit worried about, but no worries, all of our clothes and tools made it to Turkey with us. 

We arrived in Turkey in the afternoon which made us seven hours ahead of Virginia. Thankfully we had a few days in the UK to help us adjust because our days since arriving have been pretty packed. 

We were welcomed by our new sister who had traveled just ahead of us and who has been our translator this whole time.  They brought us to our hotel, a Best Western with an emphasis on the "best." So nice and has been our place of refuge during our stay thus far. 

We went for dinner out practically "on the street" with many of the staff here in Turkey and had traditional Turkish dishes, yogurt salad and kabobs. Believe it or not, I actually saw some people I knew at dinner, which is a funny feeling when arriving in a foreign country. But actually, it was a few of the students I had met the last time I was here in 2007. They were back here in Turkey visiting friends before returning back to their homeland to continue ministering.